Sunday, July 26, 2009

one of those moments

i wanted to share a story with everyone...
this happened to me yesterday and will remain with me as one of the most memorable things that i have personally ever seen.

since sway's passing 2 days ago, i have continued to talk to her at random times throughout the days...
i don't know any other way to help me with my grief, as she lives within me now.
well... weeks prior to all this happening i had made arrangements to go dolphin and whale watching on sunday 7/26 in dana point.
my mom was flying in to visit me on the 22nd and would be here a week and so it was one of the things i setup in advance of her getting here.

i had talked to sway numerous times already this day and we (me, my girlfriend, my mom and her friend) took off in this large boat and went miles out into the ocean for a 3+ hour ride...
while out there we spent the first hour and a half watching 2 blue whales feeding and that in-and-of itself is obviously incredible...
the group then spotted a dolphin pod and the boat began riding with them and there was about 50-100 of them swimming around us... and i, (along with my gf and my moms friend) were on the bow/front of this boat with about 20 other people... and keep in mind this is about a 50 foot boat...
and while everyone in the front is taking pictures and enjoying the fact that we have wild dolphins interacting with the ship, i began to grab my heart and talk to sway and just tell her how much i missed her and loved her and 'we have dolphins here, and do you see this sway??' -- and literally 30 seconds after i started speaking to her... and this is true, i offer my life up as this being fully true...

30 seconds after i started speaking to sway, my moms friend (who was standing 2 feet from me) tapped my girlfriend on the shoulder and pointed out a rainbow reflection in the ocean water as we were riding...
i only overheard him say this because i was standing right next to my girlfriend.
i looked down, and sure enough -- a full on rainbow reflection that was about 5 feet in length and right off this boats left hand side, right in the EXACT area that i was facing...
had i hopped over the railing where i was standing my fall would have been right overboard an on top of this rainbow reflection.
no one else on the boat saw it, 50-60 people on the boat, they were too pre-occupied with the dolphins... we were the only 3 on the entire boat that saw it.
it lasted for about 60 seconds, it was viewable nowhere in the sky, just reflected perfectly on the moving ocean water to the exact left of me as our boat was speeding over the waves with these dolphins... and it stayed perfectly in place, and then was just gone.

3763494603_9fa77dd78e

now of course i didn't mention the significance of such a thing to them, and it was just a cool lil' rainbow to them...
but me, knowing the existence of a 'rainbow bridge' that passing dogs go too, well i knew it was sway.
i knew it. 150% positive. and i will never forget this for as long as i live.

i told my girlfriend this story that night and couldn't contain my emotions as i barely got this thing out to her, and spoke about faith and hope and the existence of a God and all kinds of things.
i'm not an overly religious person, but that was one of those moments in one's life... you might have 2 or 3 in a lifetime, where you just say in awe - proof is shown to you from God himself.
and i will just never forget it.

and that wasn't all...
i always have said for years that sway's face looked like a baby seal - she has the most beautiful eyes and they are big and bright and pure and innocent and they just looked almost identical to a seals eyes in that sense.
well, 10 minutes after the rainbow thing... we are still riding with the dolphins and again, we are miles out from the shore... and i look backwards off the deck while we are moving with these dolphins, and out pops a california sea lion pup swimming behind the boat, with the dolphins!!!
and it was just him, out of nowhere, totally random... hadn't seen one out swimming the entire trip... but there he was, dipping and weaving behind the boat, and then he was gone within seconds...
the captain saw him swimming with us and pointed him out, and at the time i told my girlfriend that the little guy looked exactly like a mermaid version of sway haha.

only after i explained the rainbow story to her that night did she put into context the significance of that lil' sea lion pup showing up out of the blue, it was pretty neat.
both memories will stick with me forever, and they just show me personally that sway is clearly all around me.
subtly and maybe only showing up in a situation like the rainbow, that was clearly meant for my eyes only... but she is there none the less.
and it makes me feel good to know.
it gives me faith and it helps me.
it helps me.
she always does that and is clearly still doing it.

love you sway.

>>vetnet

3 comments:

natali said...

It is true... they stay with us forever.

westernmaine207 said...

thank you for sharing .. I predict she will not be your only dog like that in your life... it might me decades but GOD will send you other amassing dog. like me.. you are blessed.. Sway running on RB with Dusty..

Unknown said...

Tears. Omg. Yes. They indeed do stay with us. Popping in from time to time. Its a beautiful thing. Sway is a beautiful soul <3